Sunday, June 14, 2009

Antivirus System Pro and other scams

I'm spitting mad right now. If you've not heard about one of the latest, and popular, internet scams out right now called "antivirus system pro 2009". Well, it's basically a deal where the website that you inadvertently come in to contact with flashes something up on your screen alerting you to the fact that you've got a virus. It then prompts you to take action now by clicking on some button they provide.

The program then proceeds to identify several viruses on you computer (viruses, that the program its self planted there) and offers to rid these virus for you and restore your computer's health. HOWEVER.. there's one little catch - you have to fork over some money, about $50 us, to activate the rescue portion of this program.

Unfortunately, my roommate fell for this. I don't fault her, it could have happened to anyone (and apparently it did! from what I've read on the net). Anyway, the program takes your money and you go on about your way thinking that your computer is all better now - or so it seems.

But, later you notice that you can't get to certain websites. "What the heck?" Or, when you click on a link, you end up and some other website that you never intended to arrive-at.

If this unfortunate event has happened to you, just use another computer (not the one that's infected) to google "Antivirus system pro removal". There's a ton of information out there about it.

Now, on to my next point - SCAMS. Folks, I hate to sound radical here - OK, I sound radical, but I don't care. But, these types of scams are just going to get worse before they get better.

Three reasons why:
1. the bad guys (people who come-up with these scams) are getting more and more sophisticated.
2. As more and more people are accepting the internet as a way to conduct everyday tasks such as banking, shopping, email, and finding information. There will simply be more targets out there.
3. as the economy declines the ability to make an honest buck declines too. However, most of these do-bads are from places outside our country. Well again, as the economy declines so does the generosity of the first-world nations. My take is their thinking goes kind of like this: "hey, if my people are starving and I can scam some fat American out of $50, I'm not going to have any problem sleeping at night".

So, where am I going with this?

First....FOLKS... BE CAREFUL. Don't just buy things without really understanding from whom you're making the purchase. My rule of thumb is I check three different sources (reliable ones that I trust) to see if I get any conflicting evidence. Another little trick I do is to see if there is a phone number and I call it to see what kind of impression I get. Does it sound cheesy? That might be a clue.

For instance, if my roommate had just googled the words "Antivirus System Pro" before making that purchase, she would have seen all kinds of hits to the effect that it was a scam.

SECONDLY, be careful about to whom and how much, information about yourself you're giving away. For one thing, I can't think of a single reason why your bank would send you an email asking for your ATM code. Don't laugh, it's a common scam - an old one too!

THIRDLY, Use a CREDIT CARD, not a Debit Card to buy things if you're not very trusting of the source from which you're purchasing. Again, my poor roommate, she used a debit card so the money came right out of her bank account when she made the purchase. But, if she'd used a CREDIT card, she probably could have called the card company and explained. Then, they could have refused payment to the vendor. Again, not faulting her. Hindsight is 20/20.

I could probably go on and on about this topic. I think you get my point so I'll wrap it up. But, basically, I want you to take away two things:

1. Because of a declining economy and technological advance for the bad guys - SCAMS are going to be on the RISE.

2. Be skeptical. It's okay to be paranoid when you're exposing your money or your identity on the internet.

Be safe. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment